Scared of Needles? Here is How to Deal With It

 

Hate Needles? I don't like them either, they still feel ever painful even if you know that its coming,

At the sight of its pointy end, I start sweating profusely,

 

"be a man" my mom could say.
.
Then I will squeeze my face into a frown so hard to get this over with.

But that didn't prevent me from screaming  even though it wasn't the most painful thing I had ever experienced .

So What is Really Happening?


 

If you had gone through this what you are experiencing is called a vasovagal response, a reflex (reflex action are actions we can't control) that occurs when your body overreacts (actually I don't think I am overacting, that needle is about to pierce my soft skin, but well scientists have said so) to certain triggers, like blood or needles. 

The triggers stimulate a nerve that then causes your heart rate to slow down and your blood pressure to drop. As a result, you may suddenly feel warm or light-headed, turn pale, or lose consciousness.

 

So How do I behave Like a Man When a Doctor is About to Draw Blood


 

Squeezing your face wouldn't work 

Its quite simple and you have to deal with that fear you have, I mean our doctors are trustworthy aren't they.

To get through a blood draw when you feel dizziness coming on, try the applied tension technique: Tense the muscles in your body for 10 to 15 seconds, then release for 20 to 30 seconds, and continue. 

This helps raise your blood pressure, making you less likely to faint. Ask to lie down, too—then look away so you can’t see the needle entering your arm or the blood flowing.

So Why Does This Happen in the First Place


 

Scientists have been unable to completely understand why some people have vasovagal responses and others simply don't, although I think its due to the fact that some have gotten over fear of needles.

But reassuringly if you have vasovagal responses there is nothing to be worried about, they are harmless and you don't need treatment of any sort, (you might just be a softie).


But if your reaction is constant and so bad that you dread getting immunizations, medical tests, or surgeries, consider seeing a psychologist who can help you work through your fear using a therapy method known as exposure therapy (in which you are practically put in the presence of needles, until you are not longer sensitive towards them i.e. you get used to them)..

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise
Share on Google Plus

Talk to FitnessDoctor Paul Samuel

I specialize in making people look good, feel good and live good through HEALTH and FITNESS. Remember you deserve to look good. Chat with Me By EMAIL Follow on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

0 comments:

Post a Comment