Brain-eating amoeba kills 11-year-old girl


A sad event took place on Friday as the dreaded Naegleria fowleri  claims another victim. The  victim, an 11-year-old South Carolina girl Hannah Collins who was hospitalized after contracting the usually deadly brain-eating amoeba.

The Beaufort Gazette reports Hannah Collins died at 10:20 p.m. Friday, according to a statement from her family.

The statement said, "Hannah loved life, her family and friends and, although this is not the outcome we wished for, our sweet girl has joined the angels..."

South Carolina health officials confirmed Tuesday that someone had been exposed to Naegleria fowleri (aka brain eating amoeba) a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

Health officials didn't identify the patient, saying it appears the individual was exposed to the amoeba while swimming July 24 in the Edisto River in Charleston County, South Carolina.

The organism, which is naturally present in warm fresh water, can be fatal if forced up the nose.

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise
"More on This"
Brain Eating Amoeba Kills Teen
Just One Trip to the Beach Left a Man Fighting for his Life
Share on Google Plus

Talk to FitnessDoctor Paul Samuel

I specialize in making people look good, feel good and live good through HEALTH and FITNESS. Remember you deserve to look good. Chat with Me By EMAIL Follow on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM


Post a Comment